Sunday, January 31, 2010

Kensington, Westminster, Les Miserables!

Thursday (1/21)
After class we meandered through Kensington Gardens and the Princess Diana Memorial Walk, and we saw Kensington Palace (the outside), Queen Victoria statue, Prince Albert Memorial, and some of Hyde Park. The swans by the lake are very friendly, they waddled right up to us until I ran away (before they attacked)! Next time I’ll bring bread. It was super chilly outside but still beautiful. I can’t wait until spring… the parks will be even prettier when everything blooms.

Thursday night a group of us went to West End and saw Les Miserables (my favorite play!) and it was great because a woman outside had two extra tickets so she sold Ali and I tickets on the lower level (great view) for £10! (instead of paying £30-60). We both sat alone but it was fine and worth the great price haha. I love the music so much! It’s permanently stuck in my head.

Afterwards Ali and I wandered through the theatre district and had lots of fun people-watching. We accidently took a transvestite’s “corner” (he/she glared at us and moved across the street), and then two French guys asked us out for a drink (which we politely declined). They seemed surprised we couldn’t speak French, until our “accents” gave us away as Americans. :)

Friday (1/22)
Another class field trip – Westminster Abbey! Right next to Pariament and Big Ben. It is amazing, even in pouring rain. Inside was massive and fascinating... it was like a fancy graveyard for famous people. It’s filled with tombs, memorials, statues, stained glass windows, a medieval mosaic floor, a huge gold altar, and the famous Coronation Chair – used at every royal coronation since 1308. I couldn’t sneak any pictures inside though. :( We also walked through Whitehall street – the government district – and ended at Trafalgar Square, where we spent time at the National Gallery again.


Afterwards we walked down Oxford Street (land of overwhelming shopping opportunity!) and did our best to merely window shop. London has the best shopping I’ve ever seen! I love it (but it’s bittersweet… I want everything!) and of course we did end up at Primark. It’s a huge cheap store where everything is cute and inexpensive (much better than Forever 21). I bought red tennis shoes there for £2 (~$3.20). Love that place, except it’s always crowded – like Black Friday crowded. And I lost my watch there :( but I bought a cute black dress. Later a group of us went to Gelato Mio, and ran into 12 girls from our program there! Partyyy :)We love our gelato. Haha we also went to a cheesy souvenir shop and I bought boxers with the union flag on them (haha you’ll love them mom).
PS i stole the last two pictures on this post ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment