Sunday, February 28, 2010

DAY TRIP #5

Wednesday 2/17
Day Trip #5 - Blenheim Palace and Oxford!
Today was amazing. First we visited Blenheim Palace, the grand home of many Dukes throughout the centuries and the birthplace of Winston Churchill. The palace was like a museum; of paintings, historical tapestries, royal furniture, and busts of famous heads. The palace was decorated beautifully, and the gardens outside were amazing and huge. Again, I wish it was Spring already! I've seen so many English gardens that are pretty, but i know will be fabulous once everything blooms. 

Next we drove to Oxford, which was fantastic. It’s a very old "college town" established in 1294. We were dropped off and given the afternoon to explore before taking a group tour of Christ Church College. A group of us went to Covered Market to the famous milkshake stand Moo Moo’s. There were over 200 hundred flavors so it was difficult to choose one… but I got a Toblerone candy milkshake. Delicious.
                    
We explored Oxford and i loved it all. We saw amazing old buildings and a massive bookshop that had quite a lot of books (it is Oxford..). I felt like a college town... but sophisticated, pretty, and very old.
After exploring (and finding an Oxford sweatshirt sale!) we met up with the rest of the class to tour Christ Church, a very old (almost 500 years old) college and cathedral. We saw an old library and toured the college grounds, which were gorgeous of course. Oxford University students are spoiled and lucky. There was pretty old architecture, big green private gardens, and very nice “student dorms” (more like beautiful buildings) and quite a few attractive Oxford man-students strolling about. I felt awkward trying to sneak pictures of them so I didn’t. :)
Lewis Carroll studied at Oxford (here at Christ Church) and it is supposed that the name Alice (..Wonderland) was based off of Alice, the Dean's daughter, and that this door was significant to him...
Here's a picture of our BYU program...
AND NEXT (mom – tell the Baker family!)… we walked through Christ Church, where many scenes from HARRY POTTER have been filmed! Needless to say this excited nearly all 39 students in our program. We saw the balcony where Ron and Hermione see Harry when he leaves the hospital wing (first movie) AND (drum roll please..) the Great Hall! (where the Great Hall scenes are filmed!)! We were all ecstatic.
the balcony...
the GREAT HALL...
But from there it only got better. Not only did we step inside the hallowed Great Hall (which is a lot smaller in real life), BUT we got to have tea there! I repeat: I had British tea (lunch - little sandwhiches, sponge cake, and hot chocolate actually) in Hogwart’s Great Hall (PS if it’s not apparent I am a Harry Potter fan). The enchanted celing was missing, as well as other signs of the wizarding world, but i still believe. :)
Ali and I with Dr. Howe (our Brit Literature Professor)
I love Oxford and I love Harry Potter :)  ...we ended the day with a sunset at Christ Church
quite lovely :)

3 comments:

  1. F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! You must have little bruises on your arms from pinching yourself (thus making sure this stupendous experience is for real). I'm so thrilled you are having the time of your life (almost as fun as high school, eh? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mom, tell the Bakers"?!?!?!

    Why must you rub it in? If we didn't like you so much I would be angry about this. Instead we (Megan and I in abundance) are seriously jealous of all the amazing things you are doing.

    We love reading about your adventures and can't wait to hear more.

    If you find any fabulous HP stuff that you think Megan would die over (that we don;t have here) let me know and I'll get you some money to bring her something back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly: yeah in a weird way, it still hasn't hit me yet that i'm actually living in London. It's surreal still. in a good way :) Hahhahaha high school.. ha ha. PS i have your postcard and obviously i know your address but... so i don't mess it up... could you give me your address? If you want to keep it a big secret you can email me too :)

    Denise: hahaha I'm sorry!! I meant to rub it in of course, just not in a cruel way ;) Haha kidding. I think of you two whenever i see anything harry potter. Which actually is rare here! Harry Potter souvenirs are impossible to find! bizarre. I'll keep looking though. Seriously though even at Platorm 9 and three quarters.. nothing. Maybe i'll stalk JK Rowling and get her autograoh for you? :)

    ReplyDelete