Saturday, February 6, 2010

monday and tuesday. in january. in London.

Monday (1/25)
Today was splendid. I LOVE being a temporary Londoner. I don’t have to do anything exciting to have a great day here. Actually it’s easy to have a fun (but boring-sounding) day. I’m easily amused and easily pleased. Just going to the park is exciting. Well today after class Ali and I explored Notting Hill. We found Poundland! A dollar store but for pounds haha. Which I always love going to! Haha I go there for groceries at BYU. Although at Poundland I got mostly chocolate. Shocker. I have never bought so much chocolate in such a short period of time! I can’t shovel it down fast enough. And my Box in the cupboard is overflowing (and we’re each limited to 1 box… uh oh). We have a mice problem here.
We kept exploring until we ended up in South Kensington and then at Hyde Park Corner (Speaker’s Corner – we’ll have to return on a Sunday to hear all the crazy/passionate people). I saw these amazing giant WWII memorials, and then (finally!) we reached Buckingham Palace! I’d never seen it before. It’s gorgeous. The flag was flying so we know the Queen’s in town. I can’t believe I live so close to royalty!


After dinner we went on a double date (haha Ali & I and Brittany & Kira – best friends) and saw a double-feature at the Coronet Theatre. Student Discount Mondays. It’s a tradition. We saw “The Boys Are Back” (good, beautiful Australian scenery, but sad. Clive Owen is sexy though) and “Up in the Air” (funny and pretty good. George Clooney is old but relatively hot too). We actually stayed for “Up in the Air” because “The Boys Are Back” was depressing and we needed a pick-me-up. I was not thoroughly satisfied. Hahah I love British theatre ads! The commercials are all about cars, beer, and Russian vodka. Funny.
Tuesday (1/26)
School, then we hit the Science Museum! I usually don’t like science too much (it lost me my scholarship) but this place was cool. Lots of exhibits, very interactive. My favorite was the infrared heat-sensing camera. I always have ice-cold hands (part vampire?) so we did an experiment. Normally the camera shows skin as white (the spectrum goes from white – yellow – orange – red as things get cooler) and Ali and I had white faces, and she had white hands and I had red hands (of course). Well we walked around for like 15 minutes with Ali holding/rubbing one of my hands to warm it up. We got back to the camera and she had white hands and I had one red (icy) and the one she held was yellow (lukewarm)! So cool. We watched as it slowly returned to red (as all the warm blood left my hand). Haha then I put my ice fingers on Ali’s throat and I left an orange hand print there :) Scientific proof that my hands are bloodless. Or at least cold-blooded.

I went to Tesco 3 (count them THREE!) times today. I bought chocolate each time. Somehow each purchase was necessary. You’d be so proud mom! :)
PS. Haha last night (2 am) the fire alarms went off! All 50 of us rushed downstairs and awkwardly stood around in pajamas, rubbing our eyes, til we could go back upstairs. It went off again (as soon as I got in bed) but only for a few seconds. Which was good because I did not feel inclined to get out of bed again. Apparently the alarm went off because some old woman downstairs (in a connecting house?) forgot to turn off her oven and the apartment got rather hot (obviously). Duhr!

No comments:

Post a Comment