Sunday, February 28, 2010

Venice! Day 3

Saturday 2/13
Another fabulous day in Venice. I truly love this city. To start our last day off we got delicious chocolate croissants which were messy-gooey-yummy. We kept walking, wearing our Venetian masks of course, and got pizza for lunch (pretty good. But it was cold outside so it got cold too fast) BUT it was another sunny blue-skied day so it’s okay if it’s freezing. Ali and I went to the Peggy Guggenheim Museum next… I loved it! I haven’t seen much modern art before, so it was really cool. Lots of modern art and sculpture and Picasso. Outside – a pretty garden and the other side bordered the Grand Canal. I liked it MUCH better than yesterday’s Galleria Accademia.
After Guggenheim we enjoyed gelato (chocolate & vanilla) and then we trekked to the Piazza San Marco to spend the rest of the day, as we had to be at the coach station in the early evening. The last weekend of Carnival is crazy-packed! I’m glad we enjoyed time there before the mass hordes arrived. The Square was sardine-packed, and lots of the narrow side streets were full of unmoving people.
 




We enjoyed our last hours at San Marco – people-watching and taking lots of pictures – and then left Carnival mania to wander a little lost for awhile before actually heading in the right direction. I had one more delicious hot chocolate and a nasty cheap pizza in a touristy section near the coach station at Piazzale Roma. Coached it to Treviso airport, where we had hours to kill time. Had my last Italian gelato (for awhile) in the airport, then Ali and I played card games for awhile. Our flight was late (10:40 pm) and enjoyed another “run” to the plane to jostle good seats. :) I read Northanger Abbey (for school) and poor Ali had an awful high-pressure earache/headache the entire flight because she’s so sick. I felt mostly better. Got back to the London Centre around 2 am. So tired but so ecstatic that I got to spend 3 days (ish) in Venice for Carnival!!




Amusing thoughts…
1. We spent about 3 days in Venice, city of canals, and didn’t step on a boat once. :) kind of sad.
2. Here’s my final count: (for being there just 2 and a half days-ish, it seems a little low..)

Gelato – 6 scoops
Hot chocolate – 3 cups
Pizza – 3 slices
Museums – 3
Masks – 2
European Drag Queen Beauty Pageant – 1
Trip to Venice Carnival – priceless :)


(*photograph copyright of Ali El Wardani)    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment