Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Oliver! and DAY TRIP #3

Monday (2/01)
The whole program went to see Oliver! tonight (we just read it in English class). It was fun. The first half I was in the back row (end of ZZ!), so the top half of the stage was hidden. At Intermission we moved up a few rows and that really helped. I love all the music. Haha it also brought back memories of my dad gallivanting around the kitchen singing the songs, like “Food, Glorious Food!” :) We found Drury Lane after, but no muffin man. Not even a muffin shop! So weird. On the way back to the tube station we noticed that we were walking behind a few little boys from Oliver! They were teasing each other and a few of them broke into song - “I’d Do Anything!” Adorable Brit accents and all :)
*PS. I broke records tonight on my talent for being a messy eater. 1 candy bar (slightly melted) ended up in a few spots on my blouse, which went through and got on my tank top, and also ended up on both of my elbows (on my cardigan). Yep I stained 3 different articles of clothing. Don’t know how it ended up on my elbows. It is a talent. Unfortunately.
**PSS. Word of advice. Do not start papers at 4 am. It really does get even harder to focus when it’s that late. Whoops. No wonder I’m so tired! :(
Tuesday: Boring… classes and nap, card games, chocolate, sleep

Wednesday (2/02) -- DAY TRIP #3!
Dover and Canterbury. Fabulous.
We took the coach to Dover and took a tour of the secret underground World War II tunnels, with the British Operation Headquarters and Hospital and lots of paraphernalia and documentaries. It was pretty cool. I love learning about WWII era. Our tour guide cracked me up; she was adorably nerdy in an awkward British way. Then we stood at the edge of a cliff and saw France across the Channel!! Awesome. It’s only 20-something miles away. I have now officially seen France. And I’ll be there in a bit over a month!!
We walked through the medieval Dover castle grounds, saw the old Roman lighthouse, and explored the Great Tower. We saw ancient tapestries, stained glass, a royal throne, and winding staircases which felt like climbing a maze. We eventually reached the roof, with an amazing view! Wow. From the four sides you could see the coast (and the fuzzy line of France), the town of Dover, green countryside, and the Dover shipping port.
*Sad Note: Ali slipped on the muddy hill (it had been snowing) and her nice camera went flying and broke! Depressing. :(
 
We didn’t have time to stop and see the famous white cliffs of Dover (sad!) but we did drive by them and I got a picture. Dover is sooo pretty.

NEXT was Canterbury, where we visited a couple sites and then got to explore the city. We saw St. Augustine’s Abbey ruins (King Henry VIII destroyed all the old monasteries!), interesting to visit. And fun to take pictures at. :)

We then visited Canterbury Cathedral, center of the Church of England. It was massive and beautiful… stained glass, gothic arches, a memorial to Thomas of Beckett (who was murdered there), and a dark crypt with altars and graves. I loved reading strangers’ notes left on the prayer wall.
Does this remind anyone of Dumbledore? (the gold eagle)

Afterwards a group of us explored the quaint cobblestone streets of old Canterbury – mostly cute little shops, boutiques, cafes and pubs.

One of my favorites in Canterbury...

* later- got home and ordered Mika concert tickets for next month! It will be freakin awesome :)
** and here is one of my dreams... a brit flag made of chocolates... ;)

5 comments:

  1. I think I'm going to count how many times you mention chocolate. CJ & I raised you right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is my summation of your English journey thus far: Tesco, chocolate, musical, chocolate, Primark, chocolate, some old buildings, chocolate, old church, digestives (chocolate), more old buildings, chocolate stains all over my clothes. Love hearing/seeing your travels. xo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much fun you are having and the places you go... Enjoy, fun to read, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha thanks :)
    I admit to being a little chocolate-obsessed, i didn't notice i wrote about it so much haha.
    Kelly - yes that summation is very true :)

    I am having an unbelievable amount of fun!
    xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...after reading that I had to go get a piece of chocolate, seriously. Thanks for the fun read, I am so happy you are loving it - just the way it should be!!

    ReplyDelete